Researchers who think they have an innovation with commercial potential should submit a confidential Invention Disclosure Form to the Office of Technology Advancement.

As a general rule, MU owns inventions developed by its employees. See University of Missouri Collected Rules and Regulations, section 100.020.

Please contact us early in your research and before you share it publicly (to maximize our ability to protect any novel discoveries).

How do I disclose an invention?

  1. Review the Invention Disclosure tip page.
  2. Review the Inventor Contributions tip page.
  3. Download and complete the appropriate form(s).
  4. Provide detailed and accurate information, which is essential for our evaluation process.
  5. Sign the form.
  6. Submit the form to us in person, via campus mail or scan and email it to us.

What happens after I disclose my invention?

Tech Advancement professionals will discuss the invention with you and evaluate it for novelty, utility and market potential.

Contact us

1400 Rock Quarry Road, Suite Q180
Email: Phone: 573-882-6013