Contact the Research Analytics Team at email@example.com to discuss training options. We’re happy to meet with you to develop a training session to meet the needs of your department or college. We can also provide one on one training upon request.
The NSF HERD survey is the primary source of information on research and development (R&D) expenditures at U.S. colleges and universities. The survey collects information on R&D expenditures by field of research and source of funds. It also captures types of research, expenses and R&D personnel headcounts. The survey is an annual census of institutions that expended at least $150,000 in separately accounted for R&D during the fiscal year.
- Grant and contract expenditures classified as research/R&D (purpose codes RESBA, RESAP and RESDV) in the PeopleSoft grants module (not instruction/public service or "OSA").
- Appropriation funding that is earmarked for research (e.g., USDA capacity funding, Spinal Cord Injury Research Program, NextGen).
- Both externally funded R&D (grants and contracts) and institutional investments (DeptIDs with PCS of 21 or 22) Examples include cost share, internally funded grants and RIF.
- Facilities and administration costs (F&A) not recovered from external sources.
- Gifts that are coded as “research” in the general ledger (expenditures recorded on DeptID with PCS of 21 or 22).