Technology Advancement Office
MU Ingenuity Grows Successful Ventures
The Technology Advancement Office (TAO) partners with faculty, companies, entrepreneurs and investors to bring MU innovations and technologies to the marketplace, where research truly benefits society.
Technology Advancement is part of MU's Office of Research and Economic Development. We work at the interface of science, business and patent law in an area commonly called tech transfer — the process of moving university innovations to a commercial setting for further development and transformation into products, jobs and businesses.
For information about Mizzou innovation, read our 2019 report.
What We Do
TAO professionals identify, assess, license and protect inventions resulting from MU's world-class research. They also create and facilitate pathways for the transfer of innovations to commercial partners.
- Receive invention disclosure information from faculty and staff.
- Evaluate inventions for novelty, utility and market potential.
- Secure intellectual-property protection, such as patents.
- Identify companies that have the expertise and resources necessary to bring an invention to market.
- Negotiate licenses and other intellectual-property agreements with companies interested in further developing MU's research discoveries.
- Manage reporting and compliance obligations for federal, state and industry research contracts.
Last Updated: October 24, 2019