The National Academy of Inventors (NAI) is a member organization comprising U.S. and international universities and government and nonprofit research institutes. The NAI was founded in 2010 to:
- Recognize and encourage inventors with patents issued from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Enhance visibility of university and nonprofit research institute innovations.
- Encourage disclosure of intellectual property.
- Educate and mentor innovative students.
- Translate the inventions of its members to benefit society.
The NAI publishes the multidisciplinary journal Technology & Innovation, hosts an annual meeting and recognizes individual inventors through its Fellows and Senior Member programs.
MU is a member institution in the NAI and established Mizzou’s chapter in 2015 to promote and foster innovation on campus. Individual membership is available through local university and nonprofit research institute chapters.
Those interested in joining MU’s chapter, must have at least one patent issued from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
NAI members from Mizzou
- James Birchler *, Curators' Distinguished Professor of Biological Sciences
Dongshen Duan, Curators’ Distinguished Professor of Molecular Microbiology & Immunology; Margaret Proctor Mulligan Professor in Medical Research
- Shubhra Gangopadhyay *, C.W. LaPierre Endowed Chair Professor, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Sheila Grant *, MU Associate Vice Chancellor of Research & Strategic Initiatives; Professor of Biomedical, Biological & Chemical Engineering
- Kattesh V. Katti *, Curators' Distinguished Professor of Radiology & Physics; Margaret Proctor Mulligan Distinguished Professor of Medical Research; Chair, Mizzou NAI Chapter
- Hongbin “Bill” Ma, Professor & Chair of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering; Director, Center of Thermal Management
- Randall Prather, Curators' Distinguished Professor of Animal Sciences; Director, National Swine Resource and Research Center
- Gary Stacey, Curators' Distinguished Professor of Plant Sciences & Biochemistry
- Habib Zaghouani, J. Lavenia Edwards Chair in Pediatrics; Professor of Molecular Microbiology, Immunology and Neurology
NAI Senior Members
- David Gozal, MD, Chairman of Child Health, Marie M. & Harry L. Smith Endowed Chair
- David Grant, Executive Director, MU Midwest BioAccelerator
- Chung-Ho Lin, Associate Research Professor of Forestry
- Patrick J. Pinhero, Professor of Biomedical, Biological & Chemical Engineering
- Hongmin Sun, Associate Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine
Xiaoqin Zou, Professor of Physics & Biochemistry
Mizzou Chapter Members
- James L. Cook, William & Kathryn Allen Distinguished Chair in Orthopaedic Surgery; Director, Thompson Laboratory for Regenerative Orthopaedics
- Raghuraman Kannan, Associate Professor of Radiology & Biological Engineering; Michael J. & Sharon R. Bukstein Chair in Cancer Research
- Randall S. Prather *, Curators' Distinguished Professor of Animal Sciences
- Peter Sutovsky *, Professor of Animal Sciences
* Indicates a founding member of the Mizzou Chapter inducted on April 30, 2015