The MU Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) is appointed by the Provost to oversee the campus Biosafety program. Specific responsibilities of the committee include:
- Review and recommend policies and guidelines that ensure biosafety procedures, equipment, facilities and training are appropriate for the biohazard risk.
- Perform an annual audit of the MU Biosafety program.
- Review and approve all use of rDNA or Biosafety Level 2 or 3 materials prior to work being conducted.
- Review the EHS monitoring of Permitted Individuals and assist in resolving problems.
- Provide a campus forum for addressing issues involving biohazardous materials.
Meeting Schedule and Committee Composition
The Institutional Biosafety Committee reviews, approves, and oversees all research activities involving:
- Recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules, and/or
Human, animal, and plant pathogens (bacteria, virus, yeast, fungus, blood, bodily fluids, tissues, cell lines, prions and parasitic agents etc.) including growth, manipulation and/or other handling and use in vitro or in vivo.
This process provides guidelines that ensure appropriate biosafety procedures, equipment, facilities, and training are adequate in conjunction with the biohazard risk.
Meeting dates are the 3rd Thursday of the month, with protocol submission deadlines one month prior to meeting date.
|Committee meeting dates||Protocol submission deadline dates**|
|March 17, 2022||February 17, 2022|
|April 21, 2022||March 21, 2022|
|May 19, 2022||April 19, 2022|
|June 16, 2022||May 16, 2022|
|July 21, 2022||June 21, 2022|
|August 18, 2022||July 18, 2022|
|September 15, 2022||August 15, 2022|
|October 20, 2022||September 20, 2022|
|November 17, 2022||October 17, 2022|
|December, 2022 -no meeting|
Due to the Pandemic, meetings are held via Zoom and start promptly at 2:00 pm unless otherwise noted.
** Protocol submission cutoff dates are to assure adequate time for committee review.
Roger W Stich, PhD, Professor Veterinary Pathobiology, (573) 882-3148
The IBC is comprised of the Recombinant or Nucleic Acid Molecule Research Subcommittee and the Biosafety Subcommittee.