What we do
The MU Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) is appointed by the Division of Research, Innovation & Impact to oversee the campus Biosafety Program. The IBC comprises the Recombinant or Nucleic Acid Molecule Research subcommittee and the Biosafety subcommittee.
We approve and oversee all research activities involving:
- Recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules.
- Human, animal and plant pathogens (bacteria, virus, yeast, fungus, blood, bodily fluids, tissues, cell lines, prions and parasitic agents, etc.) including growth, manipulation and/or other handling and use in vitro or in vivo.
Specific responsibilities of the committee:
- Review and recommend policies and guidelines that ensure biosafety procedures, equipment, facilities and training are appropriate for the biohazard risk.
- Perform an annual audit of the MU Biosafety Program.
- Review and approve all use of rDNA or Biosafety Level 2 or 3 materials prior to work being conducted.
- Review the Environmental Health and Safety monitoring of Permitted Individuals and assist in resolving problems.
- Provide a campus forum for addressing issues involving biohazardous materials.
This process provides guidelines that ensure appropriate biosafety procedures, equipment, facilities and training are adequate in conjunction with the biohazard risk.
Roger W. Stich, PhD, Professor Veterinary Pathobiology, 573-882-3148
Meeting dates are the third Thursday of the month; protocol submission deadlines one month before each meeting date.
|Committee meeting dates||Protocol submission deadlines**|
|November 16, 2023||October 16, 2023|
|December 2023, no meeting|
|January 18, 2024||December 18, 2023|
|February 15, 2024||January 15, 2024|
|March 21, 2024||February 21, 2024|
|April 18, 2024||March 18, 2024|
|May 16, 2024||April 16, 2024|
|June 20, 2024||May 20, 2024|
|July 18, 2024||June 18, 2024|
|August 15, 2024||July 15, 2024|
|September 19, 2024||August 19, 2024|
|October 17, 2024||September 17, 2024|
|November 21, 2024||October 21, 2024|
|December 2024, no meeting|
Meetings are held via Zoom and start promptly at 2 pm unless otherwise noted.
** Protocol submission cutoff dates are to assure adequate time for committee review.