The MU Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) is appointed by the Division of Research, Innovation & Impact to oversee the campus Biosafety Program. Specific responsibilities of the committee:
- Review and recommend policies and guidelines that ensure biosafety procedures, equipment, facilities and training are appropriate for the biohazard risk.
- Perform an annual audit of the MU Biosafety Program.
- Review and approve all use of rDNA or Biosafety Level 2 or 3 materials prior to work being conducted.
- Review the EHS monitoring of Permitted Individuals and assist in resolving problems.
- Provide a campus forum for addressing issues involving biohazardous materials.
Meeting schedule and committee composition
The Institutional Biosafety Committee reviews, approves and oversees all research activities involving:
- Recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules, and/or
Human, animal, and plant pathogens (bacteria, virus, yeast, fungus, blood, bodily fluids, tissues, cell lines, prions and parasitic agents, etc.) including growth, manipulation and/or other handling and use in vitro or in vivo.
This process provides guidelines that ensure appropriate biosafety procedures, equipment, facilities and training are adequate in conjunction with the biohazard risk.
Meeting dates are the 3rd Thursday of the month, with protocol submission deadlines one month prior to meeting date.
|Committee meeting dates||Protocol submission deadlines**|
|May 18, 2023||April 18, 2023|
|June 15, 2023||May 15, 2023|
|July 20, 2023||June 20, 2023|
|August 17, 2023||July 17, 2023|
|September 21, 2023||August 21, 2023|
|October 19, 2023||September 19, 2023|
|November 16, 2023||October 16, 2023|
|December 2023, no meeting|
Meetings are held via Zoom and start promptly at 2 pm unless otherwise noted.
** Protocol submission cutoff dates are to assure adequate time for committee review.
Roger W Stich, PhD, Professor Veterinary Pathobiology, (573) 882-3148
The IBC is comprised of the Recombinant or Nucleic Acid Molecule Research Subcommittee and the Biosafety Subcommittee.