Lobbying at MU
Lobbying on Behalf of MU
Participation in the governing process is an exciting and important part of our lives as citizens. Taking particular note of the separation between your role as a University of Missouri employee and your position as a private citizen however is essential when communicating your opinions. Congressional amendments to the Lobbying Disclosure Act impacted the way the University must report lobbying activities with federal-level elected and appointed officials. To ensure compliance with these laws, we ask that MU faculty and staff:
- Coordinate all contact made in association with your University position with the Office of Government Relations. (contact Stephanie Willis, Office of Government Relations, (573) 882-2726, firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Report all contacts while in your University capacity with 1) members of Congress, their staffs or employees, or 2) high-ranking employees of federal agencies (i.e. anyone other than your program officer).
- While in Washington, D.C., on business related to professional/scientific organizations or associations, stick with the association/organization message and do not mix in University of Missouri specific business.
- If conducting University business contacts while on professional/scientific organization business trips in Washington D.C., report all funds expended on behalf of such contacts (including travel and trip expenses).
- Do Not provide gifts to members of Congress, their staffs or employees, or employees of federal agencies.
- Do Not utilize non-state sources of funds (such as agency or foundation funds, restricted funds, funds held for third parties, etc.) to pay for expenses related to contacts with members of Congress, their staffs or employees, or with federal agencies.
As always, expressing your personal interests to your elected officials is of the utmost importance. However, University messages concerning federal funding need to be closely coordinated to ensure consistency. Should you be interested in discussing a topic for official University federal lobbying consideration, please feel free to contact the Office of Research to discuss how we may include your concerns in the MU Federal Priorities report.
To facilitate reporting for activities qualifying as lobbying, a simple web application is now available for entering contact information. Please utilize this site to report your expenses, the names of federal officials you contacted, and the purpose of your contact. If you have any questions about reporting requirements, please do not hesitate to contact Dustin Schnieders, Director, Government Relations, (573) 882-9142, email@example.com for assistance. Please click the link below and select "Lobbying Activity Report" from the menu to start your report: