Our Mouse Services and Information
- The AMC meets with the investigator and/or a knowledgeable laboratory member to discuss the best strategy for generating the most appropriate animal model (species, genetic background, characterization, and timeline).
Design and generation of DNA targeting constructs
- The AMC will design and assemble DNA targeting constructs to create the desired animal model. Production of targeting vectors to generate conditional knock-out, knock-in, and transgenic mice can be purchased separately or as part of a larger contract to generate the animal model.
Transgenic mouse production via zygote injections
- Donor mice are super-ovulated and mated to obtain one-cell stage zygotes. Transgenic mice are generated by pronuclear microinjection of engineered DNA into the zygotes. Manipulated embryos are then transferred into pseudopregnant surrogate dams.
Chimera mouse production via ES cell targeting
- Embryonic stem (ES) cells harboring a desired genetic manipulation are microinjected into blastocyst stage embryos. Manipulated embryos are then transferred into pseudopregnant surrogate dams. Chimeric mice can be generated using commercially available ES cells or by custom ES cell targeted via the AMC.
CRISPR/Cas9-mediated genome editing (KI/KO)
- CRISPR/Cas9 technology can be used to produce gene knockouts (KOs) and some knockins (KIs) directly within the zygote. Guide RNA (gRNA), Cas9 mRNA/protein, along with repair DNA template (when appropriate) is microinjected into the pronucleus of one-cell stage zygotes. Manipulated embryos are then transferred into pseudopregnant surrogate dams.