Technology Advancement Office
MU research and scholarship often lead to new technologies, tools, therapeutics, diagnostics, compositions, processes and other inventions that can improve people’s lives. The Technology Advancement Office (TAO) partners with faculty, companies, entrepreneurs and investors to bring those innovations to market.
TAO is part of MU's Office of Research and Economic Development. We work at the interface of science, business and patent law to evaluate, protect and pave the way for the translation of innovations into products, jobs and businesses.
View our most recent report featuring faculty and staff innovators with invention disclosures, newly issued patents, licensed technologies, startup companies and first sales.
- Receive invention disclosure information from faculty and staff.
- Evaluate inventions for novelty, utility and market potential.
- Secure intellectual-property protection, such as patents.
- Identify companies that have the expertise and resources necessary to bring an invention to market.
- Negotiate licenses and other intellectual-property agreements with companies interested in further developing MU's research discoveries.
- Manage license agreements, reporting requirements and compliance for federal, state and industry research contracts.
Last Updated: May 10, 2021