Material Transfer Agreement
- Invention Disclosure
- Invention Disclosure Form
- Software Disclosure Form
- Mobile App Disclosure Form
- Intellectual Property "Patents"
- Documenting Scientific Discovery
- Rules and Regulations
- Disclosure Management Process
- Prior Art Search
- Patent Management Procedure
- Material Transfer Agreement
- Non-Disclosure Agreement
- Technology Search
- Inventor's Guide
- Mid-MO Entrepreneurial Calendar
A Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) is a contract required to transfer or receive materials from an outside entity. The MTA defines the rights of the provider and the recipient with respect to the materials and any derivatives. Biological materials, such as reagents, cell lines, plasmids, and vectors, are the most frequently transferred materials, but MTAs may also be necessary for other research materials such as engineering samples, chemical compounds, and software.
OTMIR is responsible for the negotiation and completion of these documents. Only authorized university administrators can execute these agreements. We request all principal investigators to complete and submit the MTA Request Form to OTMIR.This form provides the information required to draft the MTA.
Procedure for execution of MTAs
- Obtain an MTA Request Form by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 573-882-6013.
- OTMIR will negotiate and execute your agreement.
- OTMIR will send inventors a copy of the fully executed agreement.
- Please read the agreement carefully, comply with the terms, and stay within the scope of the agreement.
- Once the agreement is fully executed, feel free to transfer the material defined by the scope of the agreement.
- Questions? Please contact:
Note: If you are shipping chemical, biological, or other potentially hazardous material, please consult MU Environmental Health & Safety: Hazardous Shipping/Transportation. You may be required to contact EHS for approval of your shipment by Business Policy and Procedure 7:040.
Last Updated: August 28, 2017