Office of Technology Management & Industry Relations
Mizzou TECH EVENTS
Learn about scientific advances, “next-big-thing” technologies and game-changing licensing opportunities.
MIZZOU TECH ROADSHOW: Aug. 8, 2017, Thompson Coburn, St. Louis
MIZZOU INNOVATOR MINI CONFERENCE: Oct. 12, 2017, Bond Life Sciences Center, MU campus
MU Ingenuity Grows Successful Ventures
According to the Association of University Technology Managers, technology transfer — often called “tech transfer” — is the process of transferring scientific findings from one organization to another for further development and transformation into products, jobs and businesses. The Office of Technology Management & Industry Relations (OTMIR) manages technology transfer functions at MU under the direction of the division of Research, Graduate Studies and Economic Development.
OTMIR professionals identify, assess and protect inventions resulting from MU's world-class research. They also create and facilitate pathways for the transfer of innovations to the marketplace, where research truly benefits society.
Commercializing inventions and research discoveries in partnership with companies, entrepreneurs and investors is central to fulfilling the university's research and economic development missions. In addition, OTMIR's partnerships advance MU's teaching and service missions by providing experiential learning for students, creating jobs, helping companies succeed and by bringing real-world solutions to our local community and beyond.
OTMIR staff manage more than 800 technologies in different stages of development. Their work makes it possible for the office to generate 100 percent of its own budget and financially support other campus programs. View OTMIR's FY2016 annual report online or print it.
What We Do
- Receive invention disclosure information from faculty and staff.
- Evaluate inventions for novelty, utility and market potential.
- Secure intellectual-property protection, such as patents.
- Identify companies that have the expertise and resources necessary to bring an invention to market.
- Negotiate licenses and other intellectual-property agreements with companies interested in further developing MU's research discoveries.
- Manage reporting and compliance obligations for federal, state and industry research contracts.
Last Updated: April 26, 2017