Office of Technology Management & Industry Relations
MU Ingenuity Grows Successful Ventures
The Office of Technology Management & Industry Relations (OTMIR) manages technology transfer functions at MU under the direction of the division of Research, Graduate Studies and Economic Development.
Technology transfer — often called “tech transfer” — is the process of moving university innovations to a commercial setting for further development and transformation into products, jobs and businesses.
In simple terms, the role of tech transfer at MU is to serve citizens and the public good by bringing university technologies and discoveries to the marketplace, where research truly benefits society. We do this in partnership with companies, entrepreneurs and investors.
What We Do
OTMIR professionals identify, assess, license and protect inventions resulting from MU's world-class research. They also create and facilitate pathways for the transfer of innovations to commercial partners.
- Receive invention disclosure information from faculty and staff.
- Evaluate inventions for novelty, utility and market potential.
- Secure intellectual-property protection, such as patents.
- Identify companies that have the expertise and resources necessary to bring an invention to market.
- Negotiate licenses and other intellectual-property agreements with companies interested in further developing MU's research discoveries.
- Manage reporting and compliance obligations for federal, state and industry research contracts.
Last Updated: November 17, 2017