Office of Technology Management & Industry Relations
MU Ingenuity Grows Successful Ventures
Technology transfer (often called “tech transfer”) is the process of transferring scientific findings from one organization to another for further development and transformation into jobs and businesses. Moving inventions and innovations into the marketplace where research can truly benefit society is a key part of MU’s research and economic development missions.
The Office of Technology Management & Industry Relations (OTMIR) is responsible for tech transfer at Mizzou. Our professionals protect faculty, staff and student discoveries and facilitate pathways for their conversion into new companies, innovative products, medical treatments and more.
What We Do
- Receive invention disclosure information from faculty, staff and students.
- Evaluate inventions for novelty, utility and market potential.
- Secure intellectual-property protection, such as patents.
- Identify companies that have the expertise and resources necessary to bring an invention to market.
- Negotiate licenses and other intellectual-property agreements with companies interested in further developing MU’s research discoveries.
- Manage reporting and compliance obligations for federal, state and industry research contracts.
Last Updated: November 22, 2016