Office of Technology Management & Industry Relations
Mizzou TECH EVENTS
Learn about scientific advances, “next-big-thing” technologies and game-changing licensing opportunities.
MIZZOU TECH ROADSHOW and MIXER: Aug. 8, 2017, Thompson Coburn, St. Louis
MIZZOU INNOVATOR HALF-DAY CONFERENCE: Oct. 12, 2017, Bond Life Sciences Center, MU campus
MU Ingenuity Grows Successful Ventures
According to the Association of University Technology Managers, technology transfer — often called "tech transfer" — is the process of transferring scientific findings from one organization to another for further development and transformation into products, jobs and businesses.
The Office of Technology Management & Industry Relations (OTMIR) manages technology transfer functions at MU under the direction of the division of Research, Graduate Studies and Economic Development. Commercializing inventions and research discoveries in partnership with companies, entrepreneurs and investors is central to fulfilling the university's research and economic development missions. View OTMIR's FY2016 annual report online or print it.
What We Do
OTMIR professionals identify, assess, license and protect inventions resulting from MU's world-class research. They also create and facilitate pathways for the transfer of innovations to the marketplace, where research truly benefits society.
Typical steps in the tech-transfer process:
- Receive invention disclosure information from faculty and staff.
- Evaluate inventions for novelty, utility and market potential.
- Secure intellectual-property protection, such as patents.
- Identify companies that have the expertise and resources necessary to bring an invention to market.
- Negotiate licenses and other intellectual-property agreements with companies interested in further developing MU's research discoveries.
- Manage reporting and compliance obligations for federal, state and industry research contracts.
Mizzou's Tech-Transfer Office to hold its inaugural Mizzou Tech Roadshow and Mixer 3 to 6 p.m., Aug. 8, at Thompson Coburn in St. Louis for investors, entrepreneurs and business development executives.
Last Updated: July 14, 2017