Office of Technology Management & Industry Relations
MU Ingenuity Grows Successful Ventures
Technology transfer — often called “tech transfer” — is the process of transferring scientific findings from one organization to another for further development and transformation into products, jobs and businesses.
The Office of Technology Management & Industry Relations (OTMIR) manages technology transfer functions at MU under the direction of the division of Research, Graduate Studies and Economic Development.
OTMIR professionals identify, assess and protect inventions and innovations resulting from MU’s world-class research. They also create and facilitate pathways for the transfer of innovations to the marketplace, where research truly benefits society. Moving innovations from lab to market in partnership with companies, entrepreneurs and investors is central to fulfilling the university’s research and economic development missions.
What We Do
- Receive invention disclosure information from faculty and staff.
- Evaluate inventions for novelty, utility and market potential.
- Secure intellectual-property protection, such as patents.
- Identify companies that have the expertise and resources necessary to bring an invention to market.
- Negotiate licenses and other intellectual-property agreements with companies interested in further developing MU’s research discoveries.
- Manage reporting and compliance obligations for federal, state and industry research contracts.
Last Updated: January 30, 2017