Grant Writing and Publications
Office of Grant Writing and Publications
The Office of Grant Writing and Publications (OGWP) supports MU faculty by helping obtain external funding, building capacity and awareness about grant funding, and encouraging research and scholarly endeavors. Heather Brown, Ed.D., directs a staff of professional grant writing consultants and research publications experts and facilitates the MU Grant Writer Network.
- Raise campus awareness of grant writing resources, including internal funding opportunities, the Model Proposal database, Limited Submission announcements, annual federal agency briefings, and proposal development tools.
- Encourage development and facilitate implementation of grantsmanship training opportunities
- Grow the professional expertise of the MU Grant Writer Network
- Enable interdisciplinary collaboration among faculty members
- Provide direct assistance for writing grants
- Work with MU Corporate and Foundation Relations personnel to cultivate corporate and foundation funding opportunities
- Celebrate MU's successes in research, scholarship, and creative activities.
Our publications staff designs and maintains the Office of Research website, the annual Research and Public Service Report, and Illumination, an award-winning magazine celebrating research, scholarship and creative achievement at MU. The publications staff is also responsible for the design and maintenance of the Office of Research web site.a biannual, general-interest magazine featuring research, scholarship and creative achievement at MU.
Illumination, in both its print and digital editions, has received accolades from several of the nation's most respected associations of publishing and academic-advancement professionals, among them the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education [CASE], the Society of Publication Designers, Communications Arts, and Print magazine. In 2011, for example, Illumination was the nation's only university-based research magazine to win CASE gold medals for both its print and digital editions. Over the past decade, Illumination's editorial and design entries in the national CASE Circle of Excellence Awards programs have received nine gold, five silver and five bronze medals — a record unmatched by any other university-based research publication.
Grant Writer Network
The MU Grant Writer Network includes professional grant writing consultants in the OGWP and in various divisions and academic units across campus. The Network meets weekly to share resources, information and talent; support each others' individual professional development; brainstorm solutions to problems; forge interdisciplinary collaborations; and generally advance the extramural funding agenda at MU. The Network sponsors professional development activities for grant-seeking faculty members and other grants personnel, including the Faculty Grant Writing Institute, the Grantsmanship Training Series, and the four-course, 12-credit Graduate Certificate in Grantsmanship .
Last Updated: November 6, 2012