Institutional Review Board
Our offices are committed to ensuring that proper scientific, ethical and regulatory requirements are followed in IRB approved protocols. Our review program assesses the research activities under and in accordance with the University's Assurance Agreement with the Office of Human Research Protections. Our program also encourages compliance by identifying errors and/or admissions that might inadvertently occur when implementing a research study. It also is used to identify internal review errors requiring correction by our office. For routine reviews, studies are randomly selected generally in association with the time of the continuing review. Reviews may also be initiated for cause or by the board.
It is intended that the review process serves a useful educational purpose for both the IRB and investigators, and enhance academic research practice at the University of Missouri.
The review process allows the IRB to assess:
- Investigator compliance with the IRB approved study
- Compliance with the approved eligibility criteria
- Correct use of the IRB approved documents
- Areas of education for investigators, study staff or departments
- Areas of education that may warrant list serve messages, presentations or changes to IRB forms or policies
- Complete documentation in the IRB file, required by the IRB policies and procedures
- Appropriateness of review category (Exempt, Expedited, Full Board)
If your project is selected for review, you will be notified by the IRB office. The office will review all research records related to the study. Instructions regarding the review are included in the request letter.
Investigators and study personnel are encouraged to ask questions or express ideas/concerns regarding the review process. Questions about the review process should be directed to the Compliance Officers in each IRB office:
Betty Jo Wilson, Health Sciences IRB Janelle Greening, Campus IRB
For more information, please see our policy: IRB Policy on Assessments/Audits.